Have you bought the best water heater brand? Did you ever think that you have installed it in the backyard and it has been operating since many years? So, can it be dangerous if it’s not properly installed, serviced or has become rusty? Obviously yes. Below, our experts will guide you on why you should care for water geyser safety.
When using hot water geyser, most of us believe that these devices are always useful and safe. But in actual, geysers hold some downsides too which can make them somewhat hazardous or risky. This is the reason why our experts want to deliver info about water geysers. In this way, you’ll be able to prevent the risks by having appropriate maintenance of the water heaters:
Common Risks with Water Geysers
We all know that water geysers are meant to heat water. Hot, warm or lukewarm water is then provided in the winter season to the washing machine, water tap or shower (depending on the settings we have made). Usually, water heaters use electric or gas energy to heat the water. This ultimately leads to loads of wear and tear to various parts of the geyser. Eventually, deterioration can lead to other problems such as breakage, contamination, bulging or even explosion.
With water heaters, you can face:
Generally, water geysers tend to deposit a variety of bacteria, particularly when it is not appropriately serviced, maintained or cleaned neither kept at the suggested temperature. If you are living in a region where there is a lot of humidity and you are using storage geyser, it means that this water heater will provide an ideal place for the bacteria to develop. Ultimately, this infected water will be supplied in your kitchen sink and shower where people are always directly in contact with it which can eventually lead to different infections. Some contaminants produce pneumonia while the lesser temperature in the water tank can result in the growth of this bacteria.
We advise customers to keep the temperature of hot water to high (as proposed by the manufacturer) so to avoid contamination.
Such problems arise from the inflammable products like dust, clothing, paint, a gasoline can and other flammable items if they are placed near the water geyser. The vapor produced by the inflammable material can easily catch fire from the geyser’s combustion compartment.
We normally recommend our clients to purchase a gas water geyser with Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant (FVIR) system so to help in preventing burning of the vapor that may arise outside its combustion compartment.
Hazards of Carbon Monoxide
Hot water geysers which consume gas energy are just as similar to the vehicles that use the same energy. They all produce carbon monoxide in return. There is no doubt that carbon monoxide, in this case, is produced in a low quantity and it is not dangerous, especially when the outlets of the geyser are working properly. But it may happen that the outlet(s) of the geyser gets clogged. Thus, it utilizes more carbon monoxide into the atmosphere and create effects on the health of the people.
If geyser is installed in the washroom, kitchen or living space, it can secrete carbon monoxide (in case of fault). This can create certain health problems such as nausea, vomiting, weakness, dizziness, poisoning, etc. It may even become a threat for your life. Keep in mind that if your water heater is discharging carbon monoxide, the issue must be resolved on an urgent basis so that the amount of risk can be reduced.
The explosion in a water heater is quite common in winter. It happens when:
- The geyser has a gas pressure problem that results in an explosion particularly when it is not able to handle any more pressure inside
- Your water geyser has become too old while its lowermost area isn’t sealed due to which it cannot maintain gas pressure and heat inside appropriately.
Such explosions usually occur when there is no temperature and pressure relief valve. Detonation may also arise when there is a broken thermostat which isn’t able to stabilize the temperature or higher values.
How to Keep Yourself Safe from Water Heater Failures
To keep yourself safe from all dangers, it is essential to maintain your device properly. For instance, you should know:
- The different parts of the water heater which heat up the water and how they should be maintained so to prevent damages or dangers in the future
- It’s copper piping which is used to transfer gas energy from the gas meter to the geyser. Make sure that there should not be any leakages nor physical damages
- If a geyser is getting the cold water supply into the tank or not. The water tank can get damaged if it’s not getting enough cold water supply. The appliance can malfunction if the geyser body or tank is broken
- All water geysers have a gas control valve which is used to regulate the temperature of the water inside the tank. It is advisable to check the thermostat regularly to ensure that it is working properly
- The water heater should have a drain valve. It aids in cleaning out the deposits and impurities which stays at the bottom of the water tank. We usually advise customers to keep the tank clean and in working condition
- T & P valve helps in stabilizing the temperature and pressure of the water heater. This is the reason why we recommend testing the valve frequently. This helps in ensuring that it is working appropriately or you can check it otherwise
- There should be a discharge tube that aids in maintaining the boiling water inside the geyser whenever temperature or pressure is considerably higher
- There should be maintenance after every six months or annually so to ensure that the geyser is operating efficiently and complies well with all the safety measures. It is suggested to hire a plumber or contact our professional for service, repairs and/or maintenance
- In order to prevent the growth of bacteria, explosion or scorching burns, you need to set the right temperature in your water geyser. Our experts always suggest setting the temperature to fifty one degrees centigrade so to prevent bacteria while temperature shouldn’t be more than sixty degrees centigrade in order to avoid burns or explosion. Keep in mind that higher the temperature, the greater are the chances of having the device malfunctioning
- You can buy insulation kit from the market which could help in maintaining water heater safety. These kits aid in lowering the risk of explosion or fire while keeping the water geyser cool. Thus, it lets the water heater to work for a longer time with more efficiency. Remember that the insulation kit must be installed by a skilled technician.
There is nothing to frighten from the water heater safety issues. Once buying the best water heater brand, simply follow the above recommendations and start enjoying your winter with our hot water heater.
For further details and queries, you can call us on 0340-1111-444.