Front load washing machine have been designed in a way that the doors are watertight and airtight. Moreover, they have a seal with a rubber gasket. The rubber traps moisture and provides a perfect environment for mold growth and unpleasant odors.
Here are a few cleaning tips to k
eep your front load washing machine fresh and running efficiently.
Start With the Inside of the Washer
- Start by emptying any laundry.
- Continue by adding a 1/2 cup of chlorine bleach to its compartment.
- Run on a normal cycle wash.
- Wait until the cycle is complete.
- Wipe the drum with a damp cloth dipped in soapy water to remove any oily residues.
- Repeat the bleach cycle. This is essential to prevent dye affecting future laundry.
Clean the Inner Door Area
The door opening, gasket and the glass area should always be clean and dry.
- Wipe the area down every time after a load.
- After a wash, dirt residues get trapped inside the gaskets and around it.
- Look closely at the seal as you clean it.
Soap and Fabric Softener Dispensers
Most of the soap drawers are removable. This is an area that mold thrives.
- Read the instructions on the washer manual to learn how to pull out the drawers.
- Clean the drawers in hot soapy water to remove accumulated powders.
- Rinse thoroughly and allow them to air dry.
- Scrub off any tough stains in the soap compartments on the washer and let them dry.
- Remember to insert the dry drawers in their right compartments and return the appropriate detergents.
The Outside Should Be Kept Clean Too
- Weekly, use a mild soapy water to wipe the washer.
- Wipe the top and sides of the machine using a sponge.
- Never use harsh chemicals.
After completely cleaning every part of your machine, run a pre-wash short cycle to flush the washer.
Just as you regularly maintain your car, show your front load washing machine the same courtesy. And, remember never place laundry products on the washer, spills can ruin the electronic area of your washer.
Everyday Maintenance for Your Front Load Washing Machine
In addition to a monthly deep cleaning, there are a few steps you can take on a day-to-day basis to help keep your washer clean in the long run. Do the following things each time you use your washing machine:
- After completing a wash cycle, take the clothes out of the washer as soon as you can.
- Leave the washer door ajar to let the door and drum dry between uses.
- Wipe down the rubber seal and drum with a cloth or paper towel.
- Pull the detergent tray out to let it dry.
These simple steps should keep your Front Load Washing Machine running efficiently and your clothes smelling fresh!